Monday, November 20, 2006

Reflections of a Wii-less Jake

Yesterday was the launch of the Nintendo Wii. Saturday I loaned a tent to a few of my friends who had decided to camp out in front of Best Buy so they could get one the day it was available. I also went out and hung out with them for a few hours on Saturday. Sunday came, they got their systems and invited me over so I could play. I was more than happy to oblige. We played tennis, baseball, Madden, bowling and some other games. It was a good time. And I'm still glad that I made the decision not to get one. Because it wasn't the new way to play games, or the shiny new system, or the cool controller that made yesterday fun. It was the people. It was hanging out with my brothers in Christ and talking and laughing with them that made yesterday a good day.

And I think I needed to learn that lesson. Because we've been told implicitly throughout our lives here on Earth (and especially in this western culture) that money buys things, which bring us happiness. But I was just as happy sitting outside in the cold, freezing weather talking with my friends about life, politics, and what have you as I was playing virtual tennis with them. I actually think I was more happy just hanging out. Things aren't important. The quality of the food we eat isn't that important. The size of our TV doesn't matter. How we dress, where we live, what we drive, what we have. . .it's all secondary. The things that matter most are the people we choose to share our lives and our loves with.

So, looking back, was it a hard decision not to get one? Yeah. (Sadly.) Do I regret it? Not one bit. I don't need a next-generation console to help me enjoy those around me. I just need those people. And they don't cost any money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home